3 helpful hacks for exercise beginners
- Being active and healthy shouldn’t be something you hate. Choose activities that you enjoy. Maybe it’s bike riding, swimming, or surfing. Going to the gym can be daunting, but once you get into it you may really love the group classes or the thrill of lifting weights.
Experiment with different activities until you find something you enjoy.
- If you’re just starting out being active and healthy, there’s no need to jump in the deep end. Start off easy and slowly progress to more difficult activities or longer sessions. This might look like starting with brisk walks and progressing to jogging, or doing a 10-minute home workout on YouTube in your living room, or doing some gym classes before starting out on your own weights workout.
Strive for progress, not perfection.
- Having a workout buddy is another great way to enjoy being active and healthy. Most of us love hanging out with our friends, so get one or two of your friends on board and make it something you do together. Maybe you could join a sports team or plan for walks together before or after work, or around the kids’ schedule if you’ve got kids.
Knowing you have to meet someone else to exercise can help you actually do it!
Nutrient-Dense Breakfast In Under 2 Minutes?
Are you the kind of person who’s trying to fit 101 things into each day, but results in hectic mornings in which you struggle to make time for a healthy, nutrient-dense breakfast?
The secret starts with the night before. By preparing your healthy on-the-go breakfast mostly the night before, you save time in the morning, which makes a huge difference on those extra-hectic days.
Pre-make smoothie packs in clip-lock bags and store in the freezer. In the morning, all you need to add to your blender is the frozen smoothie goods & your liquid of choice. Whallah! Breakfast in under 2 minutes!
Here’s how to make them:
- Buy a packet of sandwich-sized clip-lock bags
- Unclip X number of bags for the number of smoothie packs you want to make, and fold the openings outwards to make the bag sit upright and wide open.
- Add solid ingredients: banana / berries / frozen spinach cube, baby spinach or other fresh greens / powdered greens / superfood powders e.g. maca powder, lucuma powder, açai powder, beetroot powder / nuts & seeds / plant-based protein powder / nut butter / dates / shredded coconut / oats / flaxseeds
- Clip-lock bags so they are airtight & freeze
- When ready to make your smoothie, empty the bag contents into the blender and add liquid (300ml or so) and ice if desired.
Handful of baby spinach
Handful of berries
Tablespoon hemp seeds / flaxseeds / chia seeds
1 scoop Earthera plant-based protein
(All the above put in a clip-lock bag and stored in the freezer)
300ml milk added to blender in the morning
Mindset shift #1 View your body as a temple
If you haven’t already, start thinking of your body as an amazing vessel. It really is! Once you start to value yourself and your body, you will find it easier to treat it with love and respect through the things you put into it and do with it. No one puts diesel fuel in a car that runs on unleaded. In the same way, our bodies run best on fresh, plant-based, whole foods with maximum nutritional value, as well as regular ‘laps around the block’ aka exercise. The more you value yourself, the more carefully you will look after this precious temple called our body from a place of love and care, rather than punishment or restriction.
Copyright © 2021 Alisha Christie